Most business activities implicate some aspect of environmental regulation including: purchasing or selling real estate, developing land, constructing buildings, leasing space, lending money, acquiring or merging a company, selling a business, and implementing physical processes in business operations. Our environmental attorneys assist clients in navigating the complex interplay between business objectives and regulatory requirements.
Our attorneys have extensive experience in advising clients ranging from small businesses, to local governments, to major companies, to real estate developers, as well as individual investors, non-profit organizations and financial institutions. They provide legal counsel on key areas of environmental compliance, reporting and enforcement:
- Due diligence in business mergers and acquisitions
- Due diligence in real estate purchases and transactions
- Identification, evaluation and resolution of issues in project approvals and entitlement processes of property developments
- Insurance and lender issues, including bank loans, foreclosures, work-out and risk management
- Asbestos and lead paint abatement and remediation
- Environmental risk management, including internal audits
- Hazardous waste handling and storage, including infectious and solid wastes
- Local, regional, state and national permitting, including air, water and other environmental media
- Storm water issues
- Underground storage tanks (USTs) investigation, remediation, removal, closure and cost recovery
- Regulatory compliance and enforcement
- Environmental litigation
Our attorneys have represented clients in civil litigation and administrative proceedings in many state and federal venues on matters relating to Brownfields, Superfund liability, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, hazardous waste and toxic torts, underground storage tanks, and on issues arising out of environmental provisions in contracts for the acquisition of businesses and real estate.
The practice area leader, Gene Schmittgens, has held leadership roles in numerous environmental law committees of business organizations and bar associations, has taught environmental law at academic institutions and in seminars for lawyers and other professionals, and has written extensively on a wide range of environmental topics.
Practice Group Members